Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Snyder Intent on Giving Up as Much as Possible for Ocho Cinco


The Redskins offered their 2008 first round pick and a conditional third round pick in 2009 which would become a first round pick if certain performance levels were met to the Bengals for Chad Johnson. Although the Bengals rejected the offer, my gut reaction to it was, "Hell yeah, let's get Ocho Cinco!" I've loved Chad Johnson for a number of seasons for a number of reasons. First of all, he's fucking good, no need to really elaborate on this one. Secondly, unlike all of our receivers the last two seasons, Chad Johnson doesn't pull his hamstring or groin every other Sunday despite dancing 93.9% than our entire receiving corps combined. Finally, #85 fits the mold of the beloved DC athlete: he's quirky and, at the same time, kind of an asshole. Chad can be thought of as the Gilbert Arenas of the NFL, if in no other way than the number, quality of self-applied nicknames.

However, when I actually take a minute to sit back and inspect the offer, I start to think trading for Ocho Cinco is a bad idea. Is Chad Johnson really worth the two first round picks he would garner should he meet the performance levels specified in the offer? The only reason I would say "maybe" is because the Redskins draft so poorly that our first round picks are bound to suck for at least the next two seasons. We did too good a job picking Laron Landry in 2007 to do a competent job any time in the next couple drafts. I'm predicting the Redskins manage to draft both another Michael Westbrook and a Heath Shuler during the next five years.

Then theres the all out deal breaker. Frankly, every Redskins fan should have realized this by now, but in case you haven't (and you actually happen to read this), I'll let you know why I know trading for Chad Johnson is an awful idea: Dan Snyder wants to make the trade.

Redskins Fact #3: Anything Dan Snyder wants is probably great for some teams, but the Washington Redskins are not among those teams.

I think I'll let this tidbit from Jason La Canfora's Redskins Insider make my argument for me: Dan Snyder wanted Ted Ginn in the 2007 draft.

I guess I can't help but also point out the gross incompetence with which the 2007 coach search was undertaken: "We hired this guy to be our offensive coordinator. Oh, wait, did I say offensive coordinator? What I really meant to say was head coach. Yeah...head coach." You should feel free to insert wink(s) into that quote wherever you feel they are appropriate.

I'm worried that The Snyder is inevitably going to make an offer for Chad Johnson that's even worse than the one it already made. When The Snyder gets its mind made up on something, it generally does everything in it's deep-pocketed power to make sure it gets what it wants. By the time this is done with, The Snyder will have probably managed to trade the Redskins first, second, third, and sixth round picks, and through some sort of trickery, two of the Falcons 2008 draft picks, for Chad Johnson and the Bengals seventh round pick.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you're thrilled that even 1 person has read your crap blog, and you've gotten your first actual comment; but you are a moron. Keep aligning yourself with JLC and see how far that gets you around here.