Thursday, February 21, 2008

In Defense of the Cheerleader


Recently there’s been a flurry on internets and cable news over this picture and several others portraying members of the Sacramento Kings cheerleading squad binge drinking and performing quasi-sexually unacceptable acts with one another. I’d like to come to their defense. First of all, when your work day is over and you’re ready to finally break out and have some fun with your coworkers, is it a crime to do so in your work clothes? I know I’ve gone out drinking with my friends in my work attire and no one threw a hissy fit over that. I think throughout this whole thing people are forgetting that they’re required to wear those midriff exposing jerseys for their job. Cheerleading demands some of the most specific garb of any job in America. The only jobs I can think of off the top of my head which require attire more specific than cheerleader are Catholic Priest and Marlboro Man.

Secondly, is it a crime for some young ladies to have a drink, or an entire bottle of champagne? Old ladies do that shit all the time, they just call it “book group.” Drinking shouldn’t be a capital offense just because you look good doing it.

Thirdly, c’mon. They’re some cheerleaders. Find me a picture of two nuns doing the same shit in cutoff nun’s habits and then maybe you’ll have a story. It would also be a story if you found a good looking nun.


-Professor Swag

No comments: