Sunday, April 6, 2008

And So It Begins...


After a glorious three game win streak to start the season, the Nats have hit their first skid of the 2008 season, of the four game variety. This leads me to ask the following horrible, inevitable questions: Did the Nationals season peak in the first week of the season? Will we ever see that special light that shines north of the .500 mark again? Is the only truly feel-good story of this season going to be the opening of [shining-ass] Nationals Park?

Professor Swag will go ahead and answer his own scientific queries with a number of yeses Dick Vitale would most likely refer to as a "Trifecta, baby!" As for the first question, I don't think much shy of a World Series can outdo an opening night, nationally televised, walk-off homerun victory to open a brand new ballpark. The second yes is somewhat more hopeful. While I don't predict we will finish the season above .500 (merely near it), we have back to back games coming up against the Marlins at home and victories in both would again propel us once again into that cherished territory beyond mediocrity. The final yes confirms merely that we will not make the playoffs this season.

However, I would also argue that there is a question more important, and perhaps more scientific than the previous three: Does it really matter?

The answer here is a resounding "Hell, no." I know I'm trying to reach my last years goal of attending 20 games, even if we end up where all the critics, pundits, and general hating-ass bitches who get paid to talk about sports for some reason (think Skip Bayless) predicted the Nationals would finish the season: in the cellar. My basic attitude on this Nationals season is perhaps espoused best by Lil' Wayne in "Live from the 504"

Money controls where i go
It is tha sale to my boat
And [if] its goin down its goin down like theres a whale in tha boat

You just have to replace the word the word "Money" with "Nationals." I would prefer the Nationals win 90 games and make the playoffs, but that can't be counted on. What can be counted on is the Nationals playing 81 home games and me trying to be in attendance for at least 20 of them. The new park, especially after having been forced to witness the 14 games I went to last year in the grimy, decrepit RFK, is that much of a draw. All of my friends, including those who don't particularly care for baseball seem to generally share my view. Tailgaiting at least one game real grandé with a party of 20+ people would be a plus.

Here at the University of Wisconsin-Madison where the Professor makes his studies, there is a popular saying which is printed onto a popular t-shirt worn on Badger football Saturday's which I would like to co-op as my summary attitude for the 2008 Nationals season. That t-shirt reads, "Win or Lose, We Still Booze." Even if the Nats aren't good, we can still have a good time, hope our $7.50 souvenir beer cups remain at least half-full, and leave Nationals Park realizing that summertime is all the balmier knowing that baseball is here to stay in the District.

No comments: